Thursday, February 19, 2009

Unstuffed Peppers

This is a recipe I kindof "made up". My family and I like stuffed peppers, but liked the inside better than the peppers. So one day I thought to cut the peppers up, and not stuff them, and bake in the oven. And we REALLY like them. This is one of Greg's favorite meals. He can have this atleast once (or twice if I would do it), a week! Hope you enjoy.

Unstuffed Peppers

1 pound burger
1/2 onion
2 or 3 Peppers (cut up into chunks) (We freeze our own, so I just cut some up and put them in baggies in the freezer, and then just dump into the pot when I'm ready)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups regular rice (not instant)
3 cups water
1/2 tsp basil
some shakes of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper and garlic to taste
shredded cheddar cheese

Cook the burger and onion together until done. Add the tomatoes, peppers, salt, pepper, garlic, basil, worshershire sauce, water and mix up good, and then add the rice. Mix together good. Cover. Cook at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or longer to make sure the rice is done, and to soak up the water.

When you put it on the plate sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top and let it get gooey. I found that it needed a little extra salt added to it.

I have also been knows to add parsley flakes, oregano, and garlic when i add everything.

You can use brown rice. It tastes ok, but it takes LONGER to cook. Make sure you read the directions on the package of rice how long to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment