- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups peeled and diced red potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- In large saucepan, heat butter or margarine over medium heat. Add celery and onions; cook and stir until tender.
- Add potatoes and broth, and simmer until tender.
- Stir in milk, and season with salt and pepper. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water, and slowly stir into soup. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, and then turn heat to medium-low. Stir in 2 cups cheese, and continue stirring until it melts. Serve.