Chicken & Broccoli Rolls
From: Cooking During Stolen Moments
For the roll dough:
1 T. (or 1 packet) yeast
1 c. warm water, divided
1 t. sugar
1/4 c. melted butter, cooled to room temperature
2 1/2 – 3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 warm water. Stir in the sugar and let sit to proof for 5 minutes. Pour in the melted and cooled butter and the remaining warm water.
2. Add 2 c. flour and the salt. Mix for two minutes. Work in as much remaining flour as needed to make a dough that is smooth but not sticky. Knead on a floured surface or continue beating for about 10 minutes. Add a bit more flour if the dough starts to get sticky while kneading.
3. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover. Let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, cover and let rise for at least another 30 minutes.
For the Chicken & Broccoli Filling:
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 t. curry powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 lb. cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
2 1/2 c. frozen chopped broccoli
1. Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk and bring to a slow boil, stirring frequently. Let slowly boil until thickened to about a canned cream-of soup consistency.
2. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Stir in remaining ingredients one at a time in order listed until well combined.
1. Divide the dough into 12 equally sized balls. Roll each ball on a floured surface into a circle. Place about a 1/4 cup chicken and broccoli filling in the center.
2. Bring the sides up and pinch together tightly to form one seal along the top. Tuck that seam under itself and turn over. Shape into a rounded roll shape and place on a baking sheet. Repeat until done. If desired, lightly brush the rolls with egg white.
3. Bake rolls at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped.
These are so good....the curry was not over powering. We are planning on using the dough to make homemade kolaches!