Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

I have been in the mood to try new recipes. I found this on one of the blogs I read. I thought it was really good...Greg thought the sauce was too sweet.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
adapted from Lion House Recipes
From:My Kitchen Cafe

Serves 4-6

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (you don't want the beef to be too high in fat because the fat will all pool at the bottom of the baking dish after baking - big time grody-ness in my book)
3/4 cup quick oats
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Form into about 12 balls, eacha bout 2 inches in diameter. Place in a casserole dish. Cover with sauce (below). Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1/4 cup barbeque sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine ingredients and blend thoroughly. Heat in a small saucepan until combined and sugar is dissolved and pour over meatballs. (This dish is not overly abundant on sauce so if you enjoy things a bit saucier, double the sauce ingredients.)

We think it could have been too sweet because I used "Sweet Baby Ray's" barbeque sauce. Going to try and not make it so sweet next time. I like saucier meatballs, so I did do a double batch of the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment