Friday, July 23, 2010

Grandmother Bread

Grandmother Bread
From: I can't remember where I got this from...it was on one of the blogs I read

Makes: 2 loaves (but I think I make 3 or 4 out of it)

3 Cups warm water
1 TBS yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
7-8 cups flour

In large bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar, and salt. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in first 4-5 cups of flour and stir with a heavy spoon. Stir in remaining cups, until dough becomes too tough to stir easily. Add more flour and begin kneading (flour is approx.). Add flour until dough is smooth and elastic. Let dough rise in a greased, covered bowl until doubled (in a warm place). About an hour. Uncover bowl, sprinkle with more flour & knead again, before dividing unto however many loaves you want to make. With floured hands, shape dough into loaves and place in greased pans. Cover and let rise again in a warm place, about another hour.

Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment